Analysis of the effectiveness of specific prevention of hepatitis B in a risk group
Eremeeva Zh.G., Fazylov V.Kh., Manapova E.R., Yakupova F.M.
1) Kazan State Medical University, Ministry of Health of Russia, Kazan, Russia;
2) Republican Clinical Dermatovenerology Dispensary, Kazan, Russia
Objective. To analyze of the effectiveness of specific prevention of hepatitis B (HB), by assessing postvaccination immunity in health care workers.
Material and methods. Trends in the incidence of acute HB were studied in the Russian Federation and in the Republic of Tatarstan in 2008–2017. An epidemiological analysis of 167 outpatient records of healthcare workers was carried out to estimate the rates of HB vaccination and its coverage. Anti-HBs antibody levels were determined using ELISA. The relationship of the level of anti-HBs antibodies to the age of the examinees and the long standing of vaccination was studied. The findings were statistically processed using the generally accepted methods for medical statistics.
Results. In 2008–2017, the incidence of acute HB showed a significant tendency to decrease in both Russia and the Republic of Tatarstan. In the examined group of health care workers, the rate of vaccination coverage was 97% and that of vaccination was 95%. Studying the intensity of post-vaccination immunity revealed that the immune layer was 41%.
Conclusion. The low level of anti-HBs in 59% of cases (it was absent in 12%) suggests that there is a risk for HB virus infection and a need for selective revaccination in health care workers.
- Yakupova F.M., Fazylov V.H. [Immunoprophylaxis of perinatal hepatitis B virus infection in family foci]. Prakticheskaya medicina 2014; (7): 140–4. (In Russ.).
- Shulakova N.I., Akimkin V.G., Kisteneva L.B. [Immunological efficacy of mass vaccination against hepatitis B]. Epidemiologiya i infekcionnye bolezni. Aktual’nye voprosy 2016; (4): 33‒6. (In Russ.).
- Fletcher R., Fletcher S., Vagner E. [Clinical epidemiology (evidence-based medicine)]. Per. s angl. Moscow: Media Sfera, 1998. 345 p. (In Russ.).
- Savilov E.D., Astaf’ev V.A., Zhdanov S.N., Zarudnev E.A.. [Epidemiological аnalysis: Methods of Statistical Processing of Material]. Novosibirsk: Nauka-Centr; 2011. 156 p. (In Russ.).
- Vafin A.Yu., SherputovskyV.G., Shishmareva E.I., Molokovich N.I., Husnullina G.R., Hisamutdinov A.N., Sadykova T.I., Kolgin R.A., Valeeva D.R., Zakirova N.R., Vladimirova M.V., Chidisova E.M., Butin A.V., Chernova E.G., Kiseleva M.N., Shamatova A.F. [Statistics of population health and healthcare (based on the materials of the Republic of Tatarstan for 2011–2015)]. Uchebno-metodicheskoe posobie. Kazan’, 2016. 256 p. (In Russ.).
- Dubel’ E.V., Sheprinsky P.E., Kurganova T.Yu. [Risk factors for infection of health workers with bloodborne infections in emergency situations]. Medicinskiy alfavit 2017; 4(38): 12‒5. (In Russ.).
- Shaihrazieva N.D., Kurbangalieva A.M., Lopushov D.V., Nesterova D.F. [Epidemiological safety of medical workers in a multidisciplinary hospital]. Medicinskiy almanah 2016; 3(43): 79–80. (In Russ.).
- Glotov Yu.P. [On the prevention of occupational infection of medical workers with bloodborne infections]. Kazanskiy medicinskiy zhurnal 2012; (2): 348–51. (In Russ.).
- Ovchinnikova O.V., Sirotinskaya E.K. [The prevalence of markers of viral hepatitis B and C among medical personnel of the multidisciplinary medical institution «Health»]. Medicinskaya ekologiya. Nauka 2015; 2 (60): 78–82. (In Russ.).
- Zelenko A.V., Fedorovich S.V., Semushina E.A., Shherbinskaja E.S. Simonchik E.P., Sinуakova O.K. [Analysis of the incidence of parenteral viral hepatitis of medical workers in the Republic of Belarus]. Zdorov’e i okruzhayushhaya sreda 2016; (26): 173–5. (In Russ.).
- Asratyan A.A., Solovyev D.V., Musina E.E., Garmash Yu.Yu., Rodina O.V., Zarovnaya L.A., Kazaryan S.M., Litvinov V.I. [The study of post-vaccination immunity against hepatitis B in medical personnel of a tuberculosis hospital]. Epidemiologiya i infekcionnye bolezni. Aktual’nye voprosy 2012; (2): 20–4. (In Russ.).
- Asratyan A.A., Musina E.E., Novikova Ju.B., Shuljak Ju.A., Demidovich L.I., Kotova I.Ju., Bahshinуan T.R., Solov’ev D.V., Dmitriev P.N., Kуuregуan K.K. [Assessment of the tension and duration of post-vaccination immunity against hepatitis B in medical personnel of a large narcological hospital]. Epidemiologiya i vakcinoprofilaktika 2011; (3): 64–9. (In Russ.).
- Zverev V.V., Semenov B.F., Haitov R.M. (eds.). [Vaccines and vaccinations. National leadership]. Moscow: GEOTAR-Media, 2011. 881 p. (In Russ.).
- Bialek S.R., Bower W.A., Novak R. Rersistence of protection against hepatitis B virus infection among adolescents vaccinated with recombinant hepatitis B vaccine beginning at birth: a 15-year follow-up study. Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2008; 27(10): 881–5.
- Gilca V., De Serres G., Boulianne N. Antibody kinetics among 8–10 years old respondents to hepatitis B vaccination in a low endemic country and the effect of a booster dose given 5 or 10 years later. Vaccine 2009; 27(43): 6048–53.
- Konopleva M.V., Borisova V.N., Semenenko T.A., Krymsky M.A., Sokolova M.V., Suslov A.P. [Problems of the current hepatitis B vaccination strategy]. Epidemiologiya i vakcinoprofilaktika 2017; 4 (95): 58–64. (In Russ.).
- Pumpens P., Grensa E., Nassal M. Molecular epidemiology and immunology of hepatitis B virus infection – an update. Intervirology 2002; (45): 218–32.
- Platonova T.A., Koltunova E.S., Golubkova A.A., Zhilyaeva I.V., Abdulvalieva V.V. [Practical issues of vaccination of children in the clinic (based on expert assessment of vaccination in indicator groups)]. Tihookeanskiy medicinskiy zhurnal 2018; 3(73): 33–7. (In Russ.).
- Kalinina Z.P., Dar’ina M.G., Movchan K.N., Mamicheva O Yu. Gagarkina I.B., Averina T.Ja., Balabash O.A., Efimova L.I., Potemkina I.V. [On post-vaccination immunity against viral hepatitis B in medical workers of St. Petersburg]. Infekciya i immunitet 2015; 5(1): 89–92. (In Russ.).
- Kozhanova T.V., Klushkina V.V., Gordeychuk I.V., Kyuregyan K.K. Mihaуlov M.I. [Evaluation of the immunological effectiveness of mass vaccination against hepatitis B Proceedings of the Institute of Poliomyelitis and Viral Encephalitis named after M.P. Chumakova RAMS.]. Medicinskaya virusologiya 2014; 28(1): 16–25. (In Russ.).
- Romanenko V.V., Patlusova V.V., Yurovskih A.I. [Evaluation of the epidemiological effectiveness of mass hepatitis B vaccination in the population of the Sverdlovsk Region]. Ural’skiy medicinskij zhurnal 2008; 8(48): 154–7. (In Russ.).
- Fisman D.N., Agrawal D., Leder K. Effect of Age on Immunologic Response to Recombinant Hepatitis B Vaccine: a Meta-analysis. Clin. Infect. Dis. 2002; (35): 1368–75.
- Usacheva L.P. [On the effectiveness of vaccination of the population against hepatitis B]. Zdorov’e naseleniya i sreda obitaniya 2007; 3(168): 13–4. (In Russ.).
- Sergeeva A.V., Bystrova T.N., Sutyrina O.M., Zaycev R.M. [Evaluation of the effectiveness of post-vaccination immunity in repeated administrations of hepatitis B vaccine]. Medicinskiy al’manah 2010; 2(11): 251–3. (In Russ.).
About the Autors
Zhanna G. Еremeeva, Epidemiologist, Republican Clinical Dermatovenerology Dispensary; Assistant Lecturer, Department of Epidemiology and Evidence-Based Medicine, Kazan State Medical University, Ministry of Health of Russia; e-mail: Z.Eremeeva@tatar.ru; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2711-0624
Vildan Kh. Fazylov, MD, Professor, Department of Infectious Diseases, Kazan State Medical University, Ministry of Health of Russia; e-mail: email@example.com; ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4333-6316
Elvira R. Manapova, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Infectious Diseases, Kazan State Medical University, Ministry of Health of Russia; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4300-4602
Farida M. Yakupova, Cand. Med. Sci., Assistant Lecturer, Department of Epidemiology and Evidence-Based Medicine, Kazan State Medical University, Ministry of Health of Russia; e-mail: email@example.com; ORCID: http://orcid.org/ 0000-0001-8416-0885